Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Addi's Eyes

I took Addison to the ophthalmologist yesterday to have her eyes checked. This was a very new experience for me since neither me or Marty wear glasses or have any type of vision problems. The doctor dilated Addison's eyes and by using a special light and some lenses determined that she accommodative esotropia. Oh my goodness! Is it contagious? No, it is not :) Please take out your pen and paper and take notes on my optometry lesson for the day... Basically, Addison can see things far away and close up. Her eyes work like a camera lens. She can focus her eyes but it takes her a little extra effort to do so. That extra effort is what is making her eyes cross. The solution? Glasses. She may grow out of this but for now and through most of her childhood, she'll have to wear them. I was a little bummed when I heard this but I decided to put on a happy face and find her the cutest pair of square frames I could find. Then I saw the choices of frames for an infant. Bummer!! I guess no one takes into account that a 15 month old may want to look fashionable. Sigh. We went with the oval, mocha colored wired frames. I tried to put my happy face back on when they told me her prescription was so strong that it would probably magnify her eyes and make them look huge (hello coke bottle eyes) and I really had to work for that happy face when I saw the bill for glasses. I hope she was wanting to pair of glasses for Christmas this year! Her glasses will be in next week so the next challenge is getting her to wear them. The lady who helped us fill her prescription said that once young children realize that they can see better with glasses they'll want to wear them. We'll see. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm sorry that is the only solution right now, but oh my, she'll look absolutely adorable in glasses! Don't worry, it'll become so second nature to her that she won't even notice them.

And yes, I absolutely gasp at the price of glasses (which is why my frames are many years old)!

Courtney said...

Girl, all children are A-DORABLE with glasses! Also, you should totally talk with Keva about how they got Micah to keep his own because I think he was pretty young when he got his.
Oh, and once yall get glasses and figure all that out check out zennioptical.com. I have bought prescription sunglasses for $20 on there, and I think they have kid glasses.